Friday, September 12, 2014

Exploring a piece of God's country

As you all know September 11th was here once again.  The day we will never forget. I think most of us will remember exactly where we were when the planes struck the towers.  I certainly do. I watched a episode on Fox News that morning that was showing what happened all over again.  May those families find comfort in God. 
We wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle and just have a fun afternoon with our boys.  We went to the ranch South of Muleshoe that we tend to cattle on. We took our ATV's rather horses this time so we could really explore it and treasure hunt.  Here is Bronc waiting on Daddy to shut the gate and hop on.  
Myself and Toodletuck got to ride together!
The cattle were fat and happy lolligagging around the water tank.  How do you spell lolligagging???  I don't know!! 
This old broken down windmill has seen better days.  I'm sure it has wonderful stories to share if it could.  It did spare me several treasures that it had spun to the ground.  Thankful for that!
This is Coyote Lake.  It is a very sandy lake.  Some areas are quicksand like to.  From the stories I have been told, the Indians used to run the buffalo down into this lake.  I guess an easier way of getting their meat and hides harvested.  One old cowboy told us that you can see buffalo legs sticking out of the sand.  We happened to find an old bone sticking up, not sure if it was buffalo but it was sure fun to imagine the story.  
They don't look very happy here.  They were having a blast, just tired of my pictures as usual.  
The old windmill again. 
Bronc found this in the sand.  Isn't it neat.  The water runoff created this art.  
The boys running around.  
This was growing in the sand all by itself.  So pretty.  
We hunted and hunted for arrowheads.  Tyler almost found a complete one the other day.  It had one small broken piece off of it.  We found tons of flint and different pieces that looked like they were arrowheads at one time.  
Cruising around the lake. 
Tucker playing in the sand. 
You would never know these Sandhills were around on this ranch.  Most of it is hills, mesquite and grass.  But alas they are there.  A nice surprise and really amazing.  
Bronc and Tucker had the best time playing in this sandy area.  But who wouldn't??  A huge sandbox provided from God!

We found so many treasures and I know there are many more to find.  We got the windmill pieces, two skulls, an old enamel bowl and also two vintage pipe wrenches.  
Here is all the flint we found yesterday.  I also noticed in the sand these tiny white shells.  Makes me wonder what used to be in them?
We had an amazing afternoon and look forward to many more.  

1 comment: